Wednesday, October 27, 2010

15 Authors in 15 Minutes

I am stealing this from Kathy Khang's blog and thought it would be fun to do.

Here are 15 authors whose work has influenced or impacted me in some significant way. A lot of these I have already talked about on this blog. Here we go!

N.T. Wright: This guy opened up a whole world of possibilities in my faith. Reading his work makes the Bible come alive in ways I didn't think it could. I have found a more compelling faith because of him.

J.R.R. Tolkein
: Lord of the Rings. Do I need to say more? No, but I will. I have read only a few books multiple times. This was one of them. I remember finishing it the first time and feeling like I was saying goodbye to my friends. I missed Frodo and Sam and wanted to start reading it again immediately.

J.K Rowling
: Yes, I love Harry Potter. I fought it for so long and finally gave in. Those stories are a gift.

Orson Scott Card
: Card can be hit or miss but when he writes a good book it is GOOD! Ender's game is one of my all time favorites. I have read it 3 times and the third was the most enjoyable. Each time I see more and more depth and nuance in the story. It is the kind of book that makes you want to write.

Tim Keller:
The Reason For God is one of the best out there. And this guy can PREACH!

Terry Goodkind
: He held my interest for 11 books in a row. The Sword of Truth had its high points and low points but that was a fun 6 months of reading.

Khaled Hosseni
: He has two books and I have loved them both. He helped me understand a culture that is foreign to me in a new way with powerfully moving stories.

Robin Hobb:
Another fantasy writer. I have only read one of her series but it was great. Everyone should go read the Liveship Traders. So creative and such great characters.

Rob Bell:
Gotta give a shout out to Bell. He sees things in such an interesting way and is a really great communicator. Looking forward to whatever is next from him.

William Goldman:
The Princess Bride. I have to be honest and say that I have been more influenced by the movie but he wrote the screenplay as well. The book was hilarious.

Jon Stewart:
Yes, he is an author. He and the rest of The Daily Show writers. America the Book was laugh-out-oud funny on every single page.

4 more! I can do it!

Henri Nouwen
: I have only read one of his books but and it was really short but it was so good. "In the Name of Jesus" was enriching, convicting, and thought provoking all at the same time.

Andy Crouch:
"Culture Making" was like putting on a pair of glasses and then realizing you have never really been able to see before. Yes. I think that describes it. I still think about that book often.

M. Scott Peck:
I have been required to read "The Road Less Traveled" twice. The first time i resented it mostly because I was not ready to receive what it had to say. The next time was much better. His thoughts on love and discipline will shape me for a long time.

Richard Foster:
You can't go wrong with this guy.


So looking at my list I notice that most of the authors I read are white men. So does anyone know some good women of color I should read?

No comments:

Post a Comment